Buying a water purifier for one’s home is a decision that should not be taken lightly, as the health of the family is dependent on safe and pure drinking water. One of the factors that should be under consideration, is the locality of the house – as water purifier is totally dependent on the water supply to the region.
Table of Contents
Factors To Consider
- Kind of water supply | The sad truth as we all know is, the water quality in India has a long way to go. It’s riddled with bacteria, chemicals, and other contaminants. Some communities even have heavy metals in the water supplied to them. The water supply in India can be broadly classified into the bore well (underground), salty water, water supplied by tankers, surface water (rivers, lakes, rain water harvesting). Each has contaminants in various levels.
- The hardness of water | TDS or Total Dissolved Salts is the measure of the hardness or softness of the water. The dissolved impurities like arsenic, lead etc must be removed from drinking water.
- RO (Reverse Osmosis) is a widely used technology. This is effective when the water level is hard ie the TDS level is 150-400. Water is passed through a semi-permeable membrane under high pressure to remove dissolved impurities.
- UV (Ultra-Violet) technology is recommended when the water level is very hard ie TDS level is >400. This method removes germs, bacteria, and viruses from water. It uses a rod producing UV radiations which are made to pass through water so that these radiations can kill germs and viruses.
- UF (Ultra Filtration) method uses threads of fibres to remove hardness from the water up to a certain limit. Water is passed through micro fibre threads which remove salts from water.
- The final step in the decision to take into consideration the company. Water purifiers need to be serviced once in a quarter, please give weightage to the company which provides best after sales service.
KENT Superb – Ranked # 1
This particular model uses mineral RO technology and provides double purification of RO+UV+UF, which removes even dissolved impurities such as chemicals and salts while retaining the essential natural minerals that are required in drinking water. One of the USP’s of Kent Superb is, it is equally suitable for water from all sources such as bore wells, tankers etc. (Patented Kent RO technology allows the user to adjust the TDS level).
Priced at INR25,000 Kent Superb offers its buyers value for money by offering a bouquet of benefits. It has purified water storage capacity with a unique water indicator. Even in the absence of running tap water and electricity, the storage tank allows for continuous supply of purified water. It also has computer controlled filter change alarm and UV fail alarm, thereby prompting service need.
Kent Superb uses high-powered 11W UV lamp to provide complete deactivation of harmful micro organisms. As this model uses full automation for auto on and auto off, it ensures hassle free operation. Households with power fluctuations need not worry, as it has a built-in SMPS(Switching Mode Power Supply) that supports a wide range of input voltage.
The quality of the purifier material is food grade, non breakable thereby ensuring longer life, higher durability and ensures that no harmful chemicals leech into the purified water.
Buy online at
Dr.Aquaguard Magna Nxt HD RO+UV – Ranked # 2
This model comes from the household name Eureka Forbes, who as a company have been in this industry for a long time. Priced at INR 18,490, it is touted as the best RO+UV purifier. The makers guarantee that every drop of water is as pure and safe as water boiled for 20 minutes.
A unique feature of this model is the Biotron- it magnetises water and de clusters the water molecules by unlocking the nutrients in the water, thereby providing healthy drinking water. As this model uses both RO and UV technology, it is recommended for usage in localities with hard water.
Dr.Aquaguard Magna uses patented Mineral Guard technology, thus giving purified water with its essential minerals like calcium and magnesium retained.
Buy online at
Tata Swach Ultima Silver RO+UV – Ranked # 3
Priced at INR 18,999, this water purifier from the Tata stables boasts of using unique Silver Nano technology and turns hard water (up to 2000ppm) into healthy, tasty drinking water. The storage tank capacity of this model is 7 litres.
Among its features are its advanced 6 stage purification technology- water passes through 6 purification stages to make it safe for drinking. It also comes with voltage spike protection and it is aesthetically designed; its stylish tap enhances the look of the purifier.
Buy online at
Not so convinced? Browse our list of Top 10 Domestic Water Purifiers in India
Make the best decision for your family today by choosing the best water purifier suited for your needs.