About 71 % of the Earth’s surface is covered with water and the oceans cover about 96.5% of all Earth’s water. The remaining percent of water exists in rivers, lakes and in air that is needed by human-being, wildlife and the ecosystem. Do you think that the water that we drink is pure and it will not harm your health? The question might be confusing, so, let me tell you that water is getting polluted day by day because of the industrial effluents and chemicals, sewage and other wastage that are being disposed-off in oceans, rivers and lakes. This is where water gets contaminated and it harms the environment especially the water that we drink. Today, water pollution has become a serious threat and there are several causes of water pollution.
Causes of Water Pollution:
• Sewage that are disposed-off into the sea from households as well as factories can cause water pollution
• Littering by humans/dumping solid wastes like plastics, cardboard, Styrofoam and etc. is another reason for water contamination.
• Throwing of industrial wastes asbestos, lead, mercury and other rubbishes can lead to contamination of water.
• Pesticides and fertilizers can pollute the nearby land and water. The chemical wastes get into the ground and pollutes the water, which is not safe for drinking.
• Another water pollution causes are improper disposals of chemicals and other hazardous substances.
• Throwing of debris into river or lakes from paper mill and food processing industries can cause impurity in water.
• Discharging of radioactive wastes (waste fuel that comes from nuclear power plants) into the sea is also one of the water pollution causes.
• Burning of fossil fuels is another cause that can lead to the contamination of water.
There are many other reasons that can lead to the cause of water pollution, but the above mentioned are the major causes. Now, that we have understood about the causes, let us study about the effects of water pollution as well. This will help you comprehend, the consequences of water contamination.
Some Effects of Water Pollution
Cause of water pollution can bring up several effects in the ecosystem and these are mentioned below:
• Pesticides and fertilizers that are used for the cultivation of crops and vegetables can contaminate the groundwater, which can directly damage the ecosystem and it is the main effect of water pollution. This can pollute the nearby lands and the water when it rains, because rain water would wash these chemical and either take them to marine areas or would get soaked underground. This water can come out of bore-wells or tube-wells thereby making it unhealthy for humans.
• The wastes that we throw in the river/lakes or in sea makes it pollute and this can end up casing effect in aquatic animals. These aquatic animals are largely consumed by the humans and as a result it can cause stomach illness, typhoid, fever and many other diseases.
• Burning of fossil fuel can emit sulphur oxides and nitrogen oxides, which can produce mild acidic compounds and when water mixes with it can cause adverse effect. Water washing these compounds can contribute towards water pollution and can harm humans.
• Throwing of debris/litter in river is very harmful because they float in the river and seen on the surface. These litters can distribute toxic chemicals in the water and harm animals and living organisms to a great extent.
So, in one sentence you can say that destroying the environment would ultimate reduce the quality of the human lives and this is why water pollution should be stopped. There is no specific water pollution solutions, but you can follow few things that can act as prevention of water pollution. Some of these are mentioned below:
Also Read: Is Borewell water safe to drink?
Preventive Measures to Control Water Pollution:
• Stop dispatching of wastes into the water body.
• Authority should levied penalty on the industries that disposes wastes into natural water.
• Proper methods should be followed to protect the rivers, lakes and seas and ensure that no wastes/debris are thrown as it can contaminate the water and make it impure.
• Awareness should be created in the minds of the common mass to ensure that they understand the adverse impact of water pollution.
• Not to throw the recycled materials on water/river and keep the marine surroundings clean.
• Educate the people to create a culture of responsibility to reduce the disposal of wastes.
These are few water pollution solutions that one can follow as the primary preventive measures directing towards the eradication of polluting the water. Beside these, the common thing that one can do in order to ensure that they don’t drink impure water that comes from different sources is by using water purifier. There are many water purifier brands in the market including KENT, AO Smith, Pureit and many others that offers different range of water purifiers. Check the list of best RO UV water purifier and buy the one of your choice.